The thought of finding a tick attached to your loved one, pet, or yourself is unnerving. With so much going on in the world today, thinking about ticks seems far down on the priority list.
However, don’t underestimate the danger ticks can bring. They carry a variety of serious diseases, and their ill-effects can be debilitating and lifelong. Protect yourself and your family by learning about the importance of checking for ticks.
Understanding Common Threats
The following two conditions have been linked to tick bites for years. Many have suffered and even lost their lives due to these hazards:
- Lyme disease is an inflammatory condition that initially causes flu-like symptoms of chills, fever, and headaches. The more severe effects manifest themselves years later, including arthritic, neurological, and cardiac disorders. These effects have all been traced back to the microscopic bacteria carried by ticks. In extreme cases, the damage can be fatal.
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a bacterial infection brought on by ticks. Early symptoms include body aches, high fevers, and severe headaches accompanied by periods of confusion. This disease's distinctive characteristic is the onset of a prominent, non-itchy rash located around the wrists and ankles. If you or your loved one experience any of these symptoms, seek emergency care immediately. The infection can lead to serious damage to the heart and kidneys and even death.
Discovering New Threats
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) released a report in 2019 that revealed more concerning information about the widespread dangers of tick bites than previously known:
- Newly-discovered germs carried by ticks are increasing at alarming rates. Over the past two decades, seven new tick-borne germs have been found in the United States alone.
- Ticks are spreading to new areas of the United States and the rest of the world. Areas that never previously reported an invasion of ticks are now dealing with their dangerous presence. This spread causes the need for increased surveillance on everyone’s part.
- A novel tick species has recently been identified and is being studied for any bacteria this new species transmits.
It is time to take the threat of ticks seriously. Invest in your family's safety by allowing our team of professionals to partner with you in tick detection and elimination. Contact Alvin’s Pest Control to make an appointment today.